The Undergraduate Research Program supports the involvement of students in original research, scholarship and creative work. Funding opportunities include Student Travel Grants, Student Research Grants, and Summer Research Fellowships. The VPAA and Dean of the Faculty, the Director of Undergraduate Research, and the Undergraduate Research Committee collaboratively administer the program.
Director of Undergraduate Research
The Director promotes original research and scholarly work by students and coordinates the efforts of the Undergraduate Research Program. The responsibilities of the Director include:
- assessing the needs of the students;
- developing programs to meet those needs;
- facilitating access to resources to meet those needs;
- conducting yearly evaluations of the Program;
- facilitating the campus-wide undergraduate research activities;
- administering the programs for Student Travel Grants, Student Research Grants, and Summer Research Fellowships.
The Director is a tenured teaching member of the faculty. The qualifications for the position are:
- experience in undergraduate research;
- administrative experience; and
- effective communication skills.
The SVPAA and Dean of the Faculty appoints the Director after consultation with Undergraduate Research Committee members.
Undergraduate Research Committee
The Committee consists of two faculty member selected from each undergraduate college. The Director is an ex-officio member of the Committee. At the May meeting, the Committee elects a Chair.
The Committee will:
- make decisions on annual allocations for Student Travel Grants and Summer Research Grants;
- recommend recipients for Undergraduate Research Fellowships to the SVPAA and Dean of the Faculty;
- organize and facilitate on-campus undergraduate research activities;
- disseminate guidelines to students and faculty concerning the application process for funding opportunities through the Undergraduate Research Program.