Can I check out materials?
You may borrow materials if you are:
- a Norwich University student, faculty or staff member
- an alumni of Norwich University
- a member of the Friends of Kreitzberg Library (FOKL)
- a guest (non-Norwich faculty, staff or student) living within a 50-mile radius of campus
- a faculty member from a Vermont Consortium of Academic Libraries (VCAL) institution
Students, faculty and staff need their Norwich University ID card. Alumni, FOKL members and community guests will be given a library card. VCAL faculty members must bring a valid VCAL library card from their home library.
What can I check out?
You may check out:
- Government documents (excluding the US Code, and rare or valuable documents)
- Maps (excluding topographic maps)
- DVDs and videos
- CD-ROMs (with some exceptions)
Sorry. These need to stay in the building:
- Reference materials
- Microfiche or microfilm
- Special Collections materials
- Hourly reserve items (may be checked out but may not leave the library)
How long can I keep materials?
- Undergraduate students: 45 days
- Graduate students: 90 days
- Staff: 45 days
- Faculty: 90 days
- Alumni, FOKL members, guests and VCAL faculty members: 45 days
- Videos: 45 days
- Popular Reading: 45 days
- Reserves: Vary (2 hours; 4 hours; 1 day; 5 days). Hourly reserves are in-house only.
What if I need to keep materials longer?
Request a renewal in person at the Circulation Desk, by phone at ext. 2176, or by signing in to your online account.
Materials borrowed from other libraries can be renewed as long as the due date has not passed. Renew online (consult this guide for assistance) or by contacting the ILL department at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 2182.
Is there a fee if I return materials late?
- Once an item is 30 days late, our system will automatically declare it “Lost” and charge a replacement fee ($50 minimum).
- Your borrowing privileges may be suspended if library materials are not returned.
What if the item I want is already checked out?
Visit or call the Circulation Desk (ext. 2176) to request a hold. We will notify you by email when the item is returned and hold it for seven days.
What if you do not have the item I want?
Request items not available in our collection through Interlibary Loan using the online form. Keep in mind it may take about 10 days to arrive. Plan ahead!
How can I suggest items for you to purchase?
We welcome suggestions for additions to our collection, although budgets will not always guarantee their purchase. To submit a suggestion, either speak to a librarian at the Reference Desk or email us.