Put Materials on Reserve
Course reserves are an extension of the classroom. We are happy to provide this service, but effective operation depends on the active cooperation of teaching faculty. Reserve materials:
- Are usually in demand by many students over a short period of time and must be checked out for only a few hours or days
- Allow faculty to provide students with access to items not in the library’s collection, such as personal books and audiovisual works
- Must adhere to U.S. Copyright Law*. See our Copyright Officer & FAQ page for more information about copyright, fair use and who to contact for additional help.
- Are covered under the Confidentiality of Kreitzberg Library Records policy. We cannot let you know who has checked out or not checked out reserve materials.
What Can Be Put on Reserve
- Library or personally-owned books, videos, CDs, DVDs and copyright compliant photocopies
- No more than three copies of the same text (shelf space is limited)
Prepare Your Materials
- Neat, legible, not torn, and in compliance with copyright law
- Noted with your name and course number
- Marked with the full bibliographic citation (author, title, volume, date, pages, etc)
You need to obtain copyright permission from the publisher for any photocopied materials placed on reserve for more than one contiguous semester. If you use the same book excerpts regularly, you may ask us to purchase a copy. This does not pertain to textbooks.
Pull the items you would like to use. When available, library staff can assist you.
Be sure to mark these with your name. You may also request the library purchase copies.
Ask for Copyright Permission (if necessary)
If you determine permission is necessary, you will need to contact the rights holder. We have an example permission letter of what to send a copyright holder or you can compose your own.
Most publications contain a copyright notification listing the copyright holder and the publisher’s address is usually listed. Addresses may also be found in the Serials Directory.
Fill Out Reserve Material Form
Complete and sign a Reserve Material Form. List the items in the same manner that you will instruct your students to ask for them. Please do not have work study students sign this form. By signing the Reserve Material Form, this assures you are aware of the provisions of copyright law and your reserves are in compliance.
Hand Everything Off to Us
Bring your fully-prepared reserve materials to the library at least 48 hours before your students will expect to use them.
- We will take your materials and add a reserve sticker.
- All personally owned materials and photocopied materials will be cataloged into our system to facilitate checkout.
- Items are removed from reserves at the end of each semester. Library materials will be returned to the stacks and personal copies will be returned to you.
If you would like your materials to remain on reserve for the next semester, please notify the Circulation Manager at x2176 before the end of the semester.
*The library also uses the American Library Association’s Model Policy Concerning College and University Photocopying for Classroom and Library Reserve Use (1982) as a guideline in providing reserve services.