Library Instruction Rooms
Questions about the Rooms
Head of Instructional Services
Library Office Manager
Library faculty have first priority for reserving the Rooms for library instruction classes, but we also want lots of teaching faculty to use the Rooms and experiment in our new teaching spaces! Learn more about them:
Library staff and the Academic Computing department are working together to offer demonstration sessions to introduce faculty to the AV technology in the rooms. Academic Computing staff are also available for one-on-one consultations to discuss potential pedagogical methods and plans for teaching in the Rooms.
Semester Course Use Award
The Library will award up to six teaching faculty with distinct plans for using the new Instruction Rooms semester-long use. Distribution between the two Rooms is dependent on the proposals received.
Guidelines for Equitable Access and Room Reservations
In order to allow the most faculty members as possible to use these new spaces, we use the following guidelines when booking the rooms:
- Rooms are not available for booking through the Registrar.
- Beyond the Semester Course Use Award, Rooms may not be reserved by teaching faculty for the entire semester.
- One room is left available for library instruction at all times. This guideline is flexible and exceptions are at the Library staff’s discretion. Granting exceptions is most likely during the second half of the semester when we do less instruction.
- Rooms can be scheduled for up to one week at a time (i.e. a week of classes or the equivalent number of individual class meetings over a period of weeks). Any exceptions to this guideline are also at the Library staff’s discretion.
- All faculty that schedule or are awarded use of these spaces are required to attend an in person hands-on orientation to learn how to use the technology in the Rooms and to ensure that the equipment works as expected with their laptop and/or device.
Class-by-Class and Week-by-Week Room Reservations
Teaching faculty may reserve either Room on a class-by-class or week-by-week basis and are encouraged to do so to experiment with new pedagogical methods using the technology and flexible furniture in these spaces. To make a reservation:
- Consult the online calendar of each Room
- Contact our Library Office Manager, Christa Stook (firstname.lastname@example.org or x2070) to book
Non-Class Room Reservations
- Rooms can be booked for meetings and other events during non-class meeting times. We especially encourage faculty meetings to use the Rooms so many people can be exposed to the spaces at once.
- Rooms will be open for student use when not reserved.
Food & Beverage
- Personal food and beverages are permitted in the North and South Instruction Rooms; however, the rooms were not designed or intended to host catered events. For catered events, please request the use of the Multipurpose Room.